Dear Families of Black Earth and Mazomanie Elementary Schools,
During this time we will be away from one another, I have and will be providing some tools and resources for your students so they can continue their music education. Below, you will find information about each grade level, and how to access these activities. I will be utilizing videos on YouTube, as well as materials that can be located in your student’s General Music class in Google Classrooms, and information here on my website. I am also sending home some printed materials for your student to work on and enjoy while we are all away from one another.
Your students are beginning their work on their Kindergarten Program. It was originally scheduled from April 30, 2020, but will be postponed to a later date. I will keep you updated on the program as we get closer. If we do not end up having the program, the songs we were learning are fun and engaging for your students to sing along with me at home! The program is “On the Farm,” and I have videoed myself singing all of the songs the students will be performing. These videos can be located on the Wisconsin Heights Elementary Music page on YouTube (see Resources section of this post at the bottom).
First Grade/Second Grade
Due to the sudden canceling of school, we were unable to perform our program for you. I do have videos of the students performing their songs in their respective grade levels, and can make those videos available within the coming weeks.
Composers: Due to the work we were doing on our program, we were unable to learn more about Ella Fitzgerald, and have not had the chance to learn about Claude Debussy. I have included listening/drawing activities for your student to enjoy. Your student can listen to and view music by these composers in the Wisconsin Heights Elementary Music playlist (Please see additional notes at the end of this post).
Your students were learning about Claude Debussy for the month of March. I have sent home a drawing activity for the students to complete while listening to “Clair de Lune.” There is also an acrostic poem the students will complete that will make the students come up with how they feel when they think about the moon.
I have also included a few worksheets about the instrument families in the orchestra for the students to complete. Videos of the instruments in the orchestra can be found on the Wisconsin Heights Elementary Music YouTube playlist.
Your students are continuing to work on their recorders and the music in their recorder packets. I will be taking videos of myself playing the recorder music that the students can access in their Music Class on Google Classroom. You can still test off on recorder songs, too! Just send me a video of you playing on Class Dojo!
The Fifth Graders were working on learning and playing the Ukulele. Our Fifth Grade Program was originally scheduled for May 7, 2020. At this time, we will not be having our Fifth Grade Program. I will be assigning small activities to do and listen to over the coming weeks, including about the Composers of the Month! Keeped tuned through Class Dojo and Google Classroom!
Mazomanie Vanguard Choir (4th and Fifth Grade)
Our Jazz Night and Choir Program were originally scheduled for April 23rd have been postponed. I will keep you up to date on date changes once they have been established. In the meantime, the music we learned for Jazz Night can be accessed through my website (esternberg.wisheights.org) under the Vanguard Choir tab.
The music for our Choir Program (originally April 23rd) can be accessed through the Vanguard Choir Class in Google Classroom. Please continue to practice!
- Mrs. Sternberg’s Website: esternberg.wisheights.org
Up to date information about programs and practice videos can be found here.
- Wisconsin Heights YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsUfXeW2_dLWu2AI-BwIszsdy5aM8XjRe
- OR search Wisconsin Heights Elementary Music in the YouTube search bar.
- Composer’s Music
- Instruments of the orchestra videos
- Daily Songs our students have learned in class and can learn at home
- Google Classroom:
- Fourth Graders can access practice videos for the recorder here.
- I will also have copies of the paper assignments located here for First, Second and Third Graders in case the original is misplaced.
- Fifth Graders will be completing small assignments and turning them in here.
- Quaver Music: If your student would like a fun and interactive music website to explore online, they can visit QuaverMusic.com. This is a resource I have used throughout my teaching career.
- “Student Interactives” - Students can play along to songs on recorder, create music and movements, explore composers and musical styles in QuaverBooks, and test their knowledge on instrument parts, names and families.
- Apps Tab (bottom tab on the page): includes different games and activities to explore. I recommend “Ear IQ,” the “Arcade,” “QSkits,” and “The Metro.”
- Username: wisconsinheights
- Password: Vanguards1
- NOTE: this is a shared account with all of the students at Mazomanie and Black Earth. Please be respectful.
ClassDojo: I will be communicating through ClassDojo and through email. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.